Balance” has become a kind of holy grail for our increasingly crazy-busy times. We know instinctively when our lives are out of balance…we may have difficulty sleeping, find ourselves stress-eating, feel resentful for not having time for the things we enjoy, or simply feel afraid that life is just passing too darn fast. But the good news is that finding balance is a conscious choice, and that means we can take control and reintroduce it into our daily lives. Here are just a few ways to do that.
• Use your usual TV time to relax in a different way. Set your DVR for your favorite shows, and go for a walk, read, play a board game with your family, etc.
• Take an hour on Sundays to plan/make your lunches and dinners for the next week to help save you time and keep you eating healthier.
• Look to exercise as a restorative. It helps your body, clears your brain, and improves your mood and spirits in the most stressful of times. While finding time to exercise can be difficult at first, once you make it part of your routine, it actually becomes something to look forward to!
• Find time throughout the day to take three deep, cleansing breaths to slow the body down and help promote a sense of calm. You might establish a trigger activity that reminds you to stop and breathe, like every time you put down your phone, or after you check your email.
• Make a list of friends or family you’d like to connect with, then think about how you’d like to do that. It might be having coffee, lunch or dinner together (at a restaurant or at home), seeing a movie…or simply sending a card just to say hi and let them know you’re thinking of them. This will keep you feeling connected to the people you care about and will help you find more balance in your relationships.